Friday, January 20, 2017

Immersed in the Psalms: Keep Us Safe

I chose to hold off on my studies this morning, so I could watch the presidential inauguration.

Today I read the twelfth Psalm. All I can say is... read it yourself. The timing of this passage feels oh, so apropos on such a politically charged day. I COULD see it as a Psalm of despair, but instead I see - twice - a promise of God's protection.

Too many of my friends are angry, or fearful of the future. They are worried about safety, heath care, and even war. I have heard, "not my president" from so many friends - and I worry that this could divide a country that cannot afford to fight with itself, when there is hate and fear attacking us from what feels like every side.

Mummy taught me, "When you can't respect the man, respect the title." Whether you voted for him or not, I think we can all agree that President Trump is a man who needs our prayers. He stands for ideals that are bigger than you, me, or himself... and no one man can do half of what's expected in that position. I prayed for President Obama, and I will pray for President Trump. The fact that I voted for neither man is immaterial. They hold a title that deserves my prayers and respect... because ANYONE in that office, needs prayer... and respect.

Pray that he lives up to your hopes. Pray that your fears are unfounded. Pray that God's promise of protection keeps us safe.

But pray.

No comments: