Tuesday, January 17, 2017
Immersed in the Psalms: Helping the Helpless
This could mean any number of people, but to me it's about children. Children are vulnerable to our actions, our neglect, and... our words. One careless word can scar a child, literally for life. I know this first-hand, and I've seen it too many times to count, in others. Please, be careful with your words... ESPECIALLY when little people are present!
For my little friends, who cannot defend themselves, I would like to share some truisms that I have learned. Some are funny, others are dead serious, but they are all real.
25 Things I've Learned from 25 Years of Working with Preschoolers
1. Farts are funny. Get over it.
2. You DO fit on an 11" chair with a 32" inseam. Kneel with your feet under the chair. Unfold gently when standing up again.
3. Bubbles heal nearly every ouchie. For those that they don't, there are band aids. Buy the colorful ones, they heal faster.
4. Don't ask what the picture is... ask them to tell you about it. Watch their face light up.
5. Use "no" sparingly. Follow every "no" with a "yes". Yes, for the 10,000th time.
6. The COOL daddy ALWAYS drinks the invisible tea from the pink plastic cup. Always.
7. Storytimes are magical; they can expand your lap enough to fit seven children. Try it.
8. Mitten clips fall off and get lost. Strings through the sleeves, do not.
9. Need to go somewhere quietly? Pretend you're a different quiet animal every time. This only works if the grown-ups do it too.
10. Three rules, that's all any group needs; take turns, be kind, and always use NICE words.
11. Never ask if they WANT to do something, if what you mean is that they MUST. A question may legitimately be answered with "no".
12. Time to clean up? Who can pick up more red Legos than Katie? More toy food than Ben? This is faster than the clean-up song, I promise.
13. Crafts are messy. Do them anyway.
14. Glitter, however, is not worth the mess.
15. Teens make the best helpers. Teachers AND preschoolers agree.
16. Red juice/Jello/treats with artificial colors will turn at least half your room into scary monsters. Test this at your own risk.
17. Hug them. Hug them more. Hug them once again. Then give them another, for good measure.
18. Play kitchens are for boys too. The ONLY difference is that the pink cups will be filled with invisible juice instead of tea. Don't know why, but it's true.
19. Let them see your fears. My "fear" of the color pink has endeared me to hundreds. My fear of the dark? Thousands.
20. Do not shout when you need their attention. Speak softer and softer until there is silence. If everyone is shouting at once... blow a train whistle. Then whisper.
21. Don't believe in can't. Believe in try again. This works 90% of the time. For the other 10%, there is "let's try together".
22. Cardboard boxes and blankets over tables are STILL better than ANYTHING that runs on batteries or electricity.
23. Make snacks together. It's worth the mess. Foods that spread or need mixing are best.
24. Laugh at their jokes. All of them.
25. Accidents happen. Forgive, FORGET, repeat.