Friday, November 27, 2020

Our Atomic Christmas Decorations



Last winter the kids and I began an adventure redecorating the house. Instead of the dark warm colors that my husband preferred, I told the kids I would go along with anything they could agree on... and they chose atomic midcentury. So this neutral-loving mama is now living in the brightest shades of turquoise, lime, and tangerine possible. It's bright and airy in here, and looks nothing like it did a year ago. 

In keeping with our "new house" we have altered our holiday decorations to match. Which means that for Christmas we are steering clear of the traditional reds and greens, and going for ultra-bright teals and lime green instead.

For our tree we went back and forth between a white or tinsel tree... but decided on white in the end. I love the way it's not so big as to take over the living room, but not so small that it disappears. The tree skirt was handmade from fleece and pompom trim, and really helps bring out the bright colors we were looking for. 


At the front door we chose a simple white wreath. I haven't decided whether to add some bright color or not, so for now it will stay simple. A few bright ornaments MIGHT find their way onto this eventually, but I'm still undecided. 

There's always next year! 

 

 

 

 


 This sweet singing yeti has been a part of our Christmas decorations for a few years now... and the pail of smiling snowballs has been in our home since the kids were young. Indoor snowball fights are a frequent evening occurrence here, and Mr. Yeti looks quite cozy sitting atop the gossip bench I upcycled last year.   

Cryptids are pretty popular in our house, and I fell in love with these smaller yeti figurines LAST year, but by the time I went to buy them they were sold out. When they came back this year, I ordered them within the week... yep I was THAT girl, Christmas shopping in September. They look ever so sweet with the tiny sweet shops I found in the Target dollar spot last year, and add a fun playful display to the top of the tiny console we built from a pair of $20 desktop drawer units from IKEA.


 

With a kitten tearing about the house swiping things from surfaces, we chose to keep our fireplace/tv-stand very simple with tiny stockings attached via Command hooks. Personally, I love the simple look here!

 


Between the kitchen and dining room, our cabinets have a built-in display niche. This has always been a favorite place to display larger seasonal goodies. 

I found these tinsel trees on clearance last year, and the blowmold penguin jumped into my cart this year as I was on my way to the dog food. Where we live, outdoor decorations don't work well between the extreme temperatures and thieves... but this was the perfect way to bring that midcentury feel to our house without worrying about it disappearing! 

(and my daughter absolutely adores penguins!) 

   


This sweet snowman is another favorite piece that's been in our house for quite awhile now. It is on the SUPER skinny table we built to go behind our sofa, as a coffee-table substitute. 


 


I WOULD put this on the table as a centerpiece... but Berlioz has informed us he is the only table decoration we need. It's his afternoon napping-spot, and so far I have been unable to convince him that a soft rug in the sunspot on the floor would be a better option. So on the end of the kitchen counter these adorable deer sit in a snowy little lantern. I found them on clearance last winter, and the dollar-spot trees from THIS Christmas were the perfect finishing-touch. 

 It is SO bright and SO festive in here... and yes, the bright colors are starting to grow on me. 

This is our happy home.




 




No comments: