Friday, March 16, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I can't believe I'm not getting around to actually posting photos of my St. Patrick's Day decorations until the day before. These have been up since March 1st... and while it's one of my smallest holidays decoration-style, it's also one of my favorites.

In our house, we have Celtic roots from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall... pretty much anywhere the ancient Celts lived, so did our ancestors. While we may not be Catholic - we ARE Irish and love celebrating our heritage during the month of March with traditional recipes, and fun leprechaun-free decorations.

On the front door, we hung this sweet little tin of shamrocks that may look familiar from THIS post from last year.





For the fireplace, we put up the same paper banner from last year. It's hard to read, so I may have to make a new one next year... but the letters spell out "Irish Blessings." Little Lambie sits on the hearth, in honor of all the sheep in Ireland.







On our little accent table in the living room, I borrowed an idea from Pinterest and filled a few of my hurricane vases with split-peas and tealights. The little angel is one of my favorite decorations, because her gown is printed with my favorite Irish Blessing:

May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
And rains fall softly on your fields.
And until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.



Over on the sewing table, I did actually pick up a few new pieces this year. The tablerunner is actually an aran-knit scarf, and I found the sweetest little spun-cotton mushrooms to sit in my favorite milkglass bowl atop a few faux-moss rocks from the dollar-store.







On our little hutch nearly everything is identical from last year. The one addition I made, is a little paper doll with her sweet little piggie friend.







And the last little bit of Irish decoration is also a repeat from last year. Up in my kitchen niche are two reprinted vintage cards, and a vintage vase of sequined floral picks.



Truly, while I may love decorating the whole house for fall, I also enjoy how just a few small decorations can make such a huge impact on the look of my house!

No comments: