Monday, October 12, 2009

Oooh, primavera!


I peeked past the curtain this morning, to see the SECOND measurable snowfall of the year. It snowed two days ago, but in our house snow that is gone by dinnertime doesn't count. We call it "cheater snow" because it cheats the kids out of snow-play. Today however, we have "keeper snow." It's past noon, and with over 4 inches already on the ground, there is no sign that it's letting up yet. Our lilacs are doubling over by the weight of the snow, and the maples are quickly changing color while the snow gives them a quick-freeze. Yet the ground temperature is still warm enough that we DON'T have to pull out the shovels - yet. This is warm blanket, hot cocoa & fireplace weather... cold enough to take advantage of the chance for warm snuggles, without having the constant hum of the furnace remind you that the gas-bill will be causing panic attacks in a few weeks.

The kids however, spent the morning chasing each other around with snowballs while I puttered around the kitchen. Snowy days seem to bring out my kitchen-creativity and today was DEFINITELY worth the effort. With hungry kids and a husband home for the day I decided to have a little fun. Yesterday was baking day, so armed with my fuzzy frog-prince slippers to keep my feet toasty, I tackled garlic-cheese toast & pasta primavera.

I have had people ask me how I find the time to bake, and it always confuses me. Anyone who's ever tried those crumbly oversweet bricks of sawdust sold as gluten-free bread would know that it's not worth one tenth the $5 per loaf that's charged. But truly, even without a bread machine it takes me all of 15 minutes to make two loaves of bread. And fresh primavera is even easier. Start with a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce, and start dumping in chopped veggies & herbs until you're happy with the consistency. Let it simmer for 2 hours - or drop into the crockpot all day, and enjoy. Truly, what could be easier than that? And oh, the smells & flavors... I've gotta go, my garlic toast is calling to me!

No comments: