Friday, February 22, 2013

Beaten by a little white snow

Have you ever had a day, where your good intentions just weren't good enough? Where nothing seems to work quite the way you planned?

What do you do? Where do you turn for inspiration? How do you keep from flopping on the floor in a full-fledged tantrum?

Today I thought I would help my husband out. We have about 5 inches of new snow, and my husband has been getting home late all week due to having been sick for so long. So I thought I would shovel the driveway for him.

Reality #1 - DH has a bad back, and bad shoulders. Shoveling hurts him. A lot.

Reality #2 - I was diagnosed with arthritis when I was 12. Most winter activities hurt. A lot.

Reality #3 - We promised my parents we would help shovel them out... meaning that if my husband has to shovel our driveway and THEN drive out to do theirs, he would not be home for the night until late. VERY late.

Knowing all these to be true, I bundled up and headed outdoors to tackle the driveway. We have a snow-thrower, which is not as powerful or awe-striking as a snowblower, but seems to get the job done alright for my husband. I hauled it out of the shed, and began trying to get it to start. I pushed the button, turned the key, flipped the choke, and pulled on that pull-cord until I was hyperventilating. I even thought many creatively disparaging thoughts in it's general direction, but nothing worked. Here is how the rest of my afternoon has gone.

Humility: having to ask your kid to pull the start-cord on the snowthrower.

(15 minutes later) 

Frustration: realizing he can't start it either, and the driveway's gonna be buried under 6" when your husband gets home.

(briefly contemplated) Vindication: knowing where a 6# sledgehammer/axe is, and how to use it.

Inspiration: unearthing the shovel, and finding that the snow isn't TOO heavy.

(30 minutes later) 

Humility: learning that you are not Wonder Woman, and despite the fact that your driveway is VERY short... you're gonna have to go back after a break to finish shoveling the other half.

(2 hours later)

Resignation: That point at which you realize you have two options; give up on the driveway, or forfeit the ability to walk upright for the next few days.
 Here is my snowthrower. At the bottom of the steps, because it stuck fast to the driveway in two hours' time. I cannot move it, so it sits there taunting me. It will still be there when my husband gets home, blocking his entry into the house and broadcasting my failure to him. You can see the driveway... roughly 2/3 shoveled, with icy patches galore. It is not a pretty sight, and I am feeling more than a little frustrated that something as simple as clearing a driveway is apparently beyond my capabilities.

I think a little bribery may ensue... I wonder if my kids would finish the driveway, for an extra half-hour of gaming time this evening?

Nope, I'm not above bribery. Nor am I ashamed of this fact.

In the meantime, I think there's a mug of tea & a warm blanket calling my name.

2 comments:

Gwen said...

I was wondering why you were doing it at all when you have a teenage boy at home. Then, I came back to reality and realized that I'd be in the same situation.

I hope you didn't hurt yourself!

homeschoolmama said...

Thanks Gwen :) I'm okay... just stiff.

He would have done it, if I'd asked. But he's a bit behind in his lessons, so I snuck out while he was studying rather than interrupt his lessons.

He did end up finishing for me. And he got the thrower un-stuck too!