Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Angels Among Us


In 1998, the popular group Alabama came out with a song about angels. The chorus goes:

I believe there are angels among us.
Sent down to us from somewhere up above.
They come to you and me in our darkest hours.
To show us how to live, to teach us how to give.
To guide us with a light of love.


I have been blessed with so many angels in my life. I have family that has always been there to lend a helping hand however we may need it. I have a church that is there for support, prayers and comfort. I have a long-time friend who travelled 3000 miles just for one day, to be there on the day we renewed our vows. And then there are the angels that I have never personally met. So many of my friends are internet-friends; people I have "met" online and since become friends with.

With our recent financial issues, we have been awed and humbled by just how amazing all of these angels truly are. I have had calls & emails from friends & family, asking how they can help out. Several times, groceries "appeared" in our fridge while we were at church for the night. Other friends have called to let us know when they have heard that a company is hiring in our area. And yesterday a package came in the mail from one special group of online angels. It was stuck in our mailbox, and getting it out became quite the comical production... but when I finally got the box out & open, I found the most beautiful cards, a bejewelled ornament for our tree... and a check.

I was awestruck. I truly did not know what to say, or to think - other than to say thank-you. Such small words, for such a truly miraculous gift. But it wasn't until I called my husband to tell him about this, that what they had sent us really hit home. These angels have sent us a month - it exactly covers the difference between what we are earning now, and what we were earning before my husband was fired. That's four weeks for us to find something better, to get through the Holidays, and for our bills to be paid on time. It's the time we need to find something better, without going into debt. Four whole weeks of worries, eliminated by angels.

I don't need to close my eyes to imagine what angels look like, I have seen their pictures. And to every angel I have been touched by, thank you. From the very bottom of my heart, thank you.

No comments: